Recipe by Barb O
Essential Eating's Quinoa Granola Bars from our local newstation WNEP. They are healthy and yummy too.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I almost always have at least two different breakfast / energy / granola bars on hand for us to enjoy, & with PAC over I now have some wonderful new additions to my selection of recipes! These bars, which, this time I made with dates, are exceptionally nice tasting & satisfying & I look forward to making them another time with the apricots, or perhaps with a combo of coconut, date & apricot! Thanks for a wonderful keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 2 cups quinoa (flakes)
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup maple sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut or 1⁄4 cup chopped dates or 1⁄4 cup chopped apricot
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients, except cinnamon, in the order listed and mix well.
- Place mixture in a 8 or 9 inch greased baking pan and press flat using the back of a fork or slightly moistened finger tips.
- Sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and cut into bars.
- Return pan to oven for 10 minutes until bars become crisp.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Notes: Recipe can be tripled using a jelly roll pan (11X17). Bars freeze well. Granulated maple sugar is 100% maple syrup that has been cooked at a higher temperature. I have subbed with brown sugar in a pinch.