Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious use of quinoa and dried fruit. Try different fruits for a variety of flavors!
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried apricots
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- kosher salt
- 1 large lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 medium firm-ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 medium scallions, white parts only thinly sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted almonds
- in a medium bowl soak the raisins and apricots in warm water for 5 minute drain and set aside.
- in a 2qt saucepan bring 2 cups water, the quinoa and 1/2 tsp of salt to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is translucent and tender. 10-15 minute (The outer germ rings of the grain will remain chewy and white. Some germ rings may separate from the grain and will look like white squiggles) Immediately fluff the quinoa with a fork and turn out onto a baking sheet to cool to room temperature.
- finely grate the zest from the lemon and then squeeze 1 tbs of juice.
- In a small bowl whisk the lemon zest and juice with the olive oil, coriander, cumin, paprika, and 1/4tsp salt.
- In a large bowl, toss the vinaigrette you just made with the quinoa, raisins, apricots, avocados, scallions and almonds.