1/4 Photos of Quinoa En Salpicon
Chef #208121's Note:
From Christmas Memories with Recipes Recipe by Felipe Rojas-Lombardi
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups raw quinoa (15-16 ounces)
- 1 cup cucumber, peel seed dice
- 1 cup tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup scallion, slice white part
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1I usually note and I did not. Make sure you wash the quinoa very well. It has a natural chemical on it to make it bitter to birds so they will not eat the grains. It can be easily washed off. In large amounts this chemical is toxic to humans. When the water is no longer 'soapy' looking the Quinoa is free of this chemical. Note not of any real value but the soapy water? Makes great laundry detergent.
- 2Make a vinaigrette by whisking together the lime juice, white pepper, jalapeno, and salt, then gradually adding the olive oil. Set aside.
- 3Place the quinoa in a fine sieve and wash under running water, rubbing the quinoa with your hands, for a few minutes. Drain. In a pot large enough to hold the ingredients comfortably, combine 2 quarts of water and the cleaned and drained quinoa. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is barely tender. Do not overcook.
- 4Remove from the heat and pour through a strainer. Drain thoroughly, and let cool. (Do not rinse.).
- 5Place the cooled quinoa in a serving bowl with the cucumber, tomato, scallions, parsley, and mint and toss. Add the reserved vinaigrette and toss again. Correct seasoning with extra salt and white pepper to taste, and serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa En Salpicon
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.0
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 309.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 9.0 g