Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Christmas Memories with Recipes Recipe by Felipe Rojas-Lombardi
Make and share this Quinoa En Salpicon recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups raw quinoa (15-16 ounces)
- 1 cup cucumber, peel seed dice
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, slice white part
- 1⁄3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- I usually note and I did not. Make sure you wash the quinoa very well. It has a natural chemical on it to make it bitter to birds so they will not eat the grains. It can be easily washed off. In large amounts this chemical is toxic to humans. When the water is no longer 'soapy' looking the Quinoa is free of this chemical. Note not of any real value but the soapy water? Makes great laundry detergent.
- Make a vinaigrette by whisking together the lime juice, white pepper, jalapeno, and salt, then gradually adding the olive oil. Set aside.
- Place the quinoa in a fine sieve and wash under running water, rubbing the quinoa with your hands, for a few minutes. Drain. In a pot large enough to hold the ingredients comfortably, combine 2 quarts of water and the cleaned and drained quinoa. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is barely tender. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat and pour through a strainer. Drain thoroughly, and let cool. (Do not rinse.).
- Place the cooled quinoa in a serving bowl with the cucumber, tomato, scallions, parsley, and mint and toss. Add the reserved vinaigrette and toss again. Correct seasoning with extra salt and white pepper to taste, and serve.
I'm on the Weight Watchers Core program and this fit right in when I lowered the amount of olive oil It was quite good and I'm sure it would have been even better if I had had mint.
This is a wonderfully refreshing, healthy summer salad! Even my DH ate it and enjoyed it. I added minced garlic, diced bell pepper and diced celery. I didn`t have cucumber and just know that it would be great in this salad. Thank you for posting this! Delish!