Recipe by Lyss the nutritionist
High protein, High fiber veggie stir fry omlete like dish... ideal for a weight loss and/or low calorie diet and it is very good and easy to make!!
Top Review by FLKeysJen
Very clever to add quinoa to eggs...lots of protein and an interesting texture! This was so good that I (can't believe I'm writing this) will try it without the cheese next time, to save on the fat grams. I will increase my star rating if you want to make the directions easier. Step #1 should be omitted since the quinoa is already cooked. In #3, garlic is mentioned and spinach mentioned in Step #4, but neither is in the ingredients. I wasn't sure so used spinach as the 1/2 cup vegetable. Also I only used 1/4 cup cheese...assume the 1 cup swiss was a typo. A very adaptable recipe; most of the flavor in my version came from the salsa.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup vegetables (chopped, pick and choose your favorites from broccoli, red or orange bell peppers, tomatoes and aspa)
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat cheese (low fat shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa (cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup edamame (optional, can buy frozen) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water and add quinoa (see directions on package for exact amounts of each) and cook for about 15 minutes on low/medium with the lid on or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
- Crack the egg and egg white into bowl, mix and add a little water.
- Heat pan around medium and grease with “Pam” spray or olive oil and add minced garlic.
- Put in spinach leaves and heat until almost “wilted”. Add the frozen soy peas and after a few minutes add the chopped vegetables and heat until they become tender and soften up.
- Add the beaten eggs, cooked quinoa and cheese and mix together until egg is fully cooked.
- Top with salsa, fresh sliced tomatoes or organic ketchup.