Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
High protein, High fiber veggie stir fry omlete like dish... ideal for a weight loss and/or low calorie diet and it is very good and easy to make!!
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup vegetables (chopped, pick and choose your favorites from broccoli, red or orange bell peppers, tomatoes and aspa)
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat cheese (low fat shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa (cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup edamame (optional, can buy frozen) (optional)
- Boil water and add quinoa (see directions on package for exact amounts of each) and cook for about 15 minutes on low/medium with the lid on or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
- Crack the egg and egg white into bowl, mix and add a little water.
- Heat pan around medium and grease with “Pam” spray or olive oil and add minced garlic.
- Put in spinach leaves and heat until almost “wilted”. Add the frozen soy peas and after a few minutes add the chopped vegetables and heat until they become tender and soften up.
- Add the beaten eggs, cooked quinoa and cheese and mix together until egg is fully cooked.
- Top with salsa, fresh sliced tomatoes or organic ketchup.
Very clever to add quinoa to eggs...lots of protein and an interesting texture! This was so good that I (can't believe I'm writing this) will try it without the cheese next time, to save on the fat grams. I will increase my star rating if you want to make the directions easier. Step #1 should be omitted since the quinoa is already cooked. In #3, garlic is mentioned and spinach mentioned in Step #4, but neither is in the ingredients. I wasn't sure so used spinach as the 1/2 cup vegetable. Also I only used 1/4 cup cheese...assume the 1 cup swiss was a typo. A very adaptable recipe; most of the flavor in my version came from the salsa.