Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from a Whole Foods newsletter. It's basically quiche-like, but healthier from the quinoa crust and is insanely adaptable with different veggies and cheeses. The ease and health is what I like best.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray or use butter/margarine. Be generous.
- Put quinoa into a fine strainer and rinse and drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and quinoa. Stir in spinach, then pour into prepared dish.
- Cover tightly with foil thenshake dish gently so quinoa settles on the bottom in a fairly even layer. (Don't stress about it, though.)
- Bake until just set, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle top evenly with cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Set aside to let cool briefly, then slice and serve.
The quinoa, eggs and milk base works with all kinds of vegetables. I tried pepper, onion and emmenthaler cheese and it was really good.
Delicious! I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate quinoa into my diet and the whole family loved this one. We'll definitely be trying it again.
I must say I was shocked at how easy and how GOOD this recipe is. I love not only the healthy side of the quinoa but the taste is wonderful. I have a house full of company with a variety of taste and needs. One must be gluten free, one doesn't like veggies, and another likes it all. So I eliminated the veggies, quinoa was perfect for the gluten free, and I just added some left over ham from Christmas and then let those that wanted top it with fresh homemade salsa. Was thrilled that everyone liked it and not a piece was left. Can't wait to try it again WITH veggies for me and DH.