Recipe Junkie's Note:
From a friend who got it from cookbooks 101 - not low calorie, but full of good grains!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter, to grease the dish
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (I've tried regular and coarse grind cornmeal, different textures, but both are good)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, barely melted and cooled a bit
- 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Roughly ten minutes before you are ready to bake the bread (while you are mixing the batter) place the one Tablespoon butter into a 7 x 11 glass baking dish and put the dish into the hot oven.
- 3In a small bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda.
- 4In a large bowl, beat the eggs, quinoa, and melted butter until well-blended. Add the sugar, salt, milk and vinegar and stir again.
- 5Then add the dry ingredients and stir just until the batter comes together.
- 6The batter will be very thin.
- 7Pour the batter into the heated dish.
- 8Drizzle the heavy cream all over the batter, but do not stir. Carefully place in the oven and check after 45 minutes.
- 9The bread is done when the top becomes lightly browned and the center just set, somewhere between 45-60 minutes.
- 10If you want, you can finish with a very short time under the broiler to brown the top nicely.
- 11Serve warm, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (1444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2909.2
- Calories from Fat 1557
- Total Fat 173.1 g
- Saturated Fat 99.2 g
- Cholesterol 888.5 mg
- Sodium 3668.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 285.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.3 g
- Sugars 39.5 g
- Protein 69.4 g