Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From a friend who got it from cookbooks 101 - not low calorie, but full of good grains!
Make and share this Quinoa Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter, to grease the dish
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal (I've tried regular and coarse grind cornmeal, different textures, but both are good)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked quinoa, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, barely melted and cooled a bit
- 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roughly ten minutes before you are ready to bake the bread (while you are mixing the batter) place the one Tablespoon butter into a 7 x 11 glass baking dish and put the dish into the hot oven.
- In a small bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, quinoa, and melted butter until well-blended. Add the sugar, salt, milk and vinegar and stir again.
- Then add the dry ingredients and stir just until the batter comes together.
- The batter will be very thin.
- Pour the batter into the heated dish.
- Drizzle the heavy cream all over the batter, but do not stir. Carefully place in the oven and check after 45 minutes.
- The bread is done when the top becomes lightly browned and the center just set, somewhere between 45-60 minutes.
- If you want, you can finish with a very short time under the broiler to brown the top nicely.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!