This is a recipe from Maura at CalorieKing.com. I was looking for a way to use Quinoa for the very first time. In my research, I came upon Dib's "Quinoa-Toasted" and I did this prior to making this recipe. There was certainly no detectable bitterness from my perspective. This is a interesting and tasty grain. The flavors are mild and pleasantly complex but I only used 1/8 tsp cayenne powder. Speaking strictly as a Quinoa newbie, it was a little like eating chili flavored hot cereal but not in a bad way. Very filling and tasty.
My Private Note
cup ser ...
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml red curry paste
- 9.85 ml ground cumin powder
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 158.51 ml red quinoa, uncooked
- 1 sweet potato, large, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 green pepper, large, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 (850.48 g) can red kidney beans
- 118.29 ml light coconut milk
- 473.18 ml tomato puree
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a 4 quart pot, combine curry paste, cumin and a little broth. Mash the mixture and stir until smooth.
- 2Add the remaining broth, quinoa, bell pepper, and sweet potato.
- 3Set over high heat and bring to a boil.
- 4Cover tightly. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes or until the quinoa begins to absorb the broth.
- 5Add the beans, coconut milk, cayenne pepper and tomato puree to the pot and stir to combine.
- 6Cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the soup is thickened.
- 7Finish with freshly ground black pepper.
- 8Suggestion: Serve with fresh hummus and pita or rice chips.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa Chili
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.4
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 61.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.7 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 25.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste
light coconut milk