Recipe by healthy mamma
This is amazing! If I had to choose just one word to describe it, it would be fresh, fresh, fresh! So perfect for a simple summer meal. It doesn't get any healthier than this either, so basically, it's the perfect dish in my humble opinion! Dont' forget to rinse your quinoa before you cook it to remove the natural "soapy" film! Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain; an average of 16.2 percent, compared with 7.5 percent for rice, 9.9 percent for millet, and 14 percent for wheat. Some varieties of quinoa are more than 20 percent protein. Quinoa's protein is of an unusually high quality. It is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance close to the ideal ... similar to milk!
Top Review by 2heartstc_7872361
This was a wonderful, light, refreshing salad. My husband is not a fan of quinoa but really liked this. I introduced my teaching partner to quinoa with this salad, and we both agreed it was very good. The only thing I changed was the amount of cumin. To me, cumin can be an overpowering spice, so I only used 1/8 tsp. I am thinking of making this with either scallops or shrimp for another twist. Great recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced radish
- 1⁄2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgian olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- *Rinse quinoa in a seive under cold water very well to remove natural, soapy film residue.
- 1. To prepare salad, bring broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan, gradually stir in quinoa. Cook 18-20 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- 2. In a cast iron skillet, over medium heat, add pine nuts (NO OIL) and shake constantly until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Add chicken, onions, radishes, cucumber, parsley, and toasted pine nuts., toss gently to combine.
- 4. To prepare dressing, combine vinegar, and remaing ingredients stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over salad, toss to combine.