Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 mins
I had quinoa in the house for my parrots for years before I ever knew that I could eat it too. This was the first quinoa recipe I ever tried. It was given to me by my Weight Watcher leader. If you make it with brown rice the recipe is core or 4 fritters for 5 points
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot or 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add quinoa and rice.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Uncover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add the onion.
- Saute until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Combine the carrot, eggs, flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Add the cooked quinoa and sauteed onion, mix well.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in skillet.
- Drop batter in 1/4 cup measures on to the skillet 4 to 6 fritters at a time.
- Cook until golden, 3 minutes on each side.