Recipe by Jacob Galley
Quinoa and buckwheat together are delicious. This is a frequent dish at my house, and a great alternative to rice.
Top Review by Mindelicious
This turned out great! I used a frozen veggie mix for the corn, peas, and carrots which really saved time & made this super easy to throw together. I did use a bit of garlic salt to kick it up a notch. Thanks for a quick & easy yet super healthy side dish!!
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa (white or red)
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat groats (raw, or choose pre-roasted to save a step)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter (or ghee or Earth Balance buttery spread)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, diced (optional)
- 1 carrot, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the quinoa. See recipe #16399 for complete instructions.
- Toast the quinoa in a hot dry skillet until slightly browned. Set aside.
- Likewise with the buckwheat. Put both in a pot with the boiling water, butter, shallot, and seasonings.
- Keep on low heat for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Five minutes before the end, add vegetables if you wish.