Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A new twist on the classic Irish brown soda bread. Quinoa adds a fantastic nuttiness and texture to this easy-to-make, dense bread! Spread with butter and top with honey or blackcurrant jam for a tasty and healthy treat.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour
- 118.29 ml quick-cooking oats
- 118.29 ml quinoa, cooked
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18 ml low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a standard loaf pan.
- Place oats in a food processor and blend to about the same size as the quinoa seeds (not necessary, but I think it makes for a better texture).
- Combine all ingredients except the buttermilk in a large bowl, making sure to break up any clumps of quinoa with your fingers.
- Add half the buttermilk to the dry ingredients, then slowly add the rest until a sticky but firm dough is formed (you may not need to use all of the buttermilk).
- Place the dough in the prepared loaf pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake around 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top starts to get too dark, tent it with aluminum foil while it finishes baking.