Quinoa is an ancient millet-like grain. It is added to this stew along with loads of fresh vegetables, hearty black beans, and lots of flavorful herbs and spices. Because this dish keeps in the refrigerator for about a week, you can always make a big pot and enjoy it for several days. NOTE: The site wouldn't take Herbamare as an ingredient so I said seasoned salt instead. Herbamare can be hard to find and expensive, so you can use Herbamare Substitute #513886 to make your own - and it's cheaper than store-bought.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt, see note above (herbamare)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Heat the oil in an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions, potatoes, leeks, celery, carrots, bell peppers, and garlic.
- 3Saute for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- 4Add the cabbage, squash, water, quinoa, herbamare, and cumin, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the squash is soft.
- 5Add the beans to the pot along with the parsley and cilantro, and stir well.
- 6Heat thoroughly.
- 7Ladle the hot stew into bowls and enjoy.
- 8MEAT EATER'S CHOICE:.
- 9Add 2 pounds of cubed cooked chicken to the stew 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa Black Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.7
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 67.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: