This is really easy to make. There were no leftovers! What a great combination of flavors and textures. Serve with tortilla chips on the side.
- 1⁄3 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno chiles
- salt and pepper
- Cook the quinoa in the water. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilantro and scallions.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, bell peppers and chilies.
- Add the cooled quinoa.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve cold.
Loved it. Used a can of drained diced tomatoes, but otherwise following the directions exactly.
So easy and good to make. I used canned tomatoes and rotel but am excited to make this with fresh tomatoes, I'm sure it will be even better! We also made burritos out of this; put the salad in with some cheese (warm it up in the microwave or eat it cold - great both ways!) and add some sour cream. Very good!
I didn't have scallions, so I used some chopped red onion. I added a little extra cumin and a dash of chili powder. This is excellent over baby spinach or as a dip with tortilla chips. Use it as a salsa in a wrap etc. DELICIOUS! Just don't try to eat it right away or you will be very disappointed. This needs several hours in the fridge for the flavors to meld & build. Definitely use FRESh ripe tomatoes and hot peppers! Canned=blech!