Recipe by SlashChef
A healthy and delicious take on the classic Indian rice & vegetable dish. I adapted this from a recipe I found in an old "Vegetarian Times" magazine.
Top Review by newmama
We enjoyed this! I love quinoa and will make it again. I made a couple small changes: 3 cloves garlic, no cauliflower- but more of everything else, real butter, and added a tsp of curry powder and some salt. when i cooked the onion I also added a little sugar to carmelize them- the really had great flavor! I did need to add a whole extra cup of broth to get everything soft and cooked.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cups vegetable broth, boiling
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup potato, peeled & diced
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons cashew pieces
- 1 cardamom pods or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place quinoa in fine mesh sieve and rinse thoroughly.
- Shake as much water off as possible.
- Heat vegetable oil in dutch oven or other large, heavy bottomed pan, over medium heat.
- Add quinoa and stir briefly.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves.
- Cook until spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth to pan.
- Bring quinoa to a boil.
- Add potatoes, carrots and cauliflower.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli and green beans, cover and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add green peas and simmer 5 more minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and vegetables are tender.
- Remove and discard whole cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- In a 10" skillet, heat margarine.
- Add onion rings and saute until golden.
- Add cashew pieces and stir constantly until cashews are lightly toasted.
- Move quinoa-vegetable mixture to serving platter.
- Topp with toasted onion rings and cashews.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.