Recipe by Starrynews
I loved the idea of using quinoa in tacos, and this is what has evolved as a favorite variation around here. Feel free to adjust toppings to your favorites. This also works with soft tacos (the 6" size), but the extra texture provided by a crunchy shell with the soft filling is a nice touch.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 8 ounces refried beans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 hard taco shells
- 1⁄2 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- sour cream, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions, about 15 minutes.
- When quinoa is done cooking and water has been absorbed, stir in refried beans, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to combine and reduce to low heat.
- Stir in shredded cheese until it melts. Be careful to continue stirring frequently, otherwise the mixture may scorch on the bottom.
- If desired, warm taco shells according to package directions.
- Stuff quinoa bean mixture evenly into taco shells and finish with your desired toppings.