Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This healthy salad is packed with delicious beans and summer veggies. Feel free to substitute different types of beans, cheese, and vegetables, based on what you have in the pantry.
- 236.59 ml quinoa, uncooked
- 473.18 ml water
- 425.24 g can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 236.59 ml frozen corn, thawed
- 236.59 ml frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- 236.59 ml cubed cheese (a combination of cheddar and mozzarella tastes great)
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt or pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic powder (optional)
- 1 avocado, chopped (see note) (optional)
- Put the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. As soon as it boils, cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Make the dressing: Pour oil and vinegar into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well.
- In a large bowl combine the beans, corn, green beans, bell pepper, onion, scallions and cheese.
- After the quinoa is done, let cool briefly then mix in with the bean mixture. Pour the dressing over everything and season with salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder, if using.
- Serve room temperature or chill.
- *avocados turn brown fairly quickly after you cut them so wait to add the avocado until right before serving.