Quinoa, Bacon, and Mushroom Cake
- Cook the quinoa in stock or salted water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside. Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat, until brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. When cooled, crumble it roughly.
- Pour out the excess fat from the skillet and lower the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook for eight minutes, until softened, stirring regularly. Add the slices mushrooms, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Remove the lid and cook for 2 minutes, until most of the juices have evaporated.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a 10-inch spongeform cake pan with oil.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the quinoa and mushroom mixture and stir until blended. Fold in the bacon and parsley. Pour into the prepared cake pan, level the surface with a spatula, and bake for 35 minutes, until the top is golden and crusty, and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let stand for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the pan to loosen and unclasp the sides of the pan. Cut in square pieces or wedges with a serrated knife and serve warm or at room temperature. The cake can be made a day ahead, tightly wrapped, and refrigerated. Reheat for 10 minutes in a 350F oven before serving.