Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken from April 2011 Bon Appetit; wonderful use of spring veggies!
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed, divided
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves, divided
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek, halved, thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced shallot
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, thickly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces (14 oz. or so)
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil in small saucepan.
- Add quinoa and 1 teaspoon salt; return to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed, 15 to 17 minutes. Drain if necessary.
- Puree broth, 1 cup peas, 4 tablespoons mint, and garlic in blender until smooth.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add leek and shallots; sauté until soft and light brown, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, then asparagus; sauté until mushrooms are tender and asparagus is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in puree and 1 cup peas; stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add quinoa; stir to coat.
- Divide pilaf among bowls; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon mint and serve.