Recipe by Everything Tasty Kitchen
I did it ....I jumped on the quinoa bandwagon!! I was so inspired by a recipe I had seen on Food Blogga and I used this recipe as a way to introduce myself to the quinoa (KEEN-wa). Quinoa has a nutty flavor and is a really nice light and fluffy alternative to long grain rice. It's considered a "superfood", high in protein, gluten free, and it cooks rather quickly. I'm sure it has many other superpowers but what really matters is that this simple recipe is super delicious!!!
- 1⁄2 cup dry organic quinoa (cook according to package)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 fresh lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 8 extra-large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 3⁄4 cup corn
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped basil
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Cook quinoa according to the package. The quinoa will be done when it turns partially white and the spiral-like germ of the grain is visible. Flake with a fork.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk 2 teaspoons olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes, just until wilted. Add shrimp and saute until they turn bright red and are lightly browned on the edges. Add the corn and tomatoes, and heat through for 2-3 minutes, just until the tomatoes begin to wrinkle.
- 4. Add cooked quinoa directly into the skillet and toss with the shrimp mixture. Add the basil and the olive oil and lemon juice mixture. Toss gently. Serve hot or at room temperature.