Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an easy to prepare meal that blends the flavors of fall while incorporating whole grains and greens. You can spice it up by changing the sausage to a more spicy variety. The original recipe comes from Whole Foods.
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa or 1 lb other smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup apple hard alcoholic cider (may use pear cider or regular non-alcoholic cider)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups kale or 2 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- In a large pot, cook sausage, onions and sage over medium-high heat until just browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add cider, quinoa, cranberries, thyme, salt and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is just absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in kale, cover again and set aside off of the heat for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff with a fork and serve.