Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Cooking Light July, 2009. I have been looking to include more quinoa in our diet since it is low calorie and very filling and this recipe turned out to be easy and a hit with everyone in my family. It is delicious! Here is what Cooking Light says about it: Quinoa is a quick-cooking whole grain supplying protein, iron, and vitamin E. Pair this side dish with simple grilled chicken or fish. For a vegetarian entree option, use organic vegetable broth and add one can of rinsed, drained chickpeas to ramp up the protein even more.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 12 oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 10 minutes. Peel and chop.
- Place quinoa, brothy, 1/2 cup water, and juice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or unitl liquid is absorbed.
- Place cilantro and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor (mine fit into my mini processor); process until smooth. Combine bell pepper, quinoa mixture, cilantro mixture, and olives in a large bowl. Sprinle with nuts.
This was quite good. I have just started using quinoa a few months ago and I am always looking for new recipes to use it. I used a red quinoa for this dish, otherwise followed the recipe as directed. Not sure if the red quinoa takes longer to cook, but it take longer than 20 minutes, close to 40 minutes to absorb all the liquid. We enjoyed the flavor, very refreshing. I did add extra pistachios because we love them. I wasn't sure whether to serve this hot or cold, so we tried it both ways. We preferred it cold. Made for Sands & Spices challenge for ZWT6.
I can't believe this hasn't been rated yet! AMAZING salad! I made it once and thought it was so yummy that I couldn't stop thinking about it and I had to make it again. I used vegetable broth and the second time I just used roasted red peppers from a jar to make it easier on myself. Full of fantastic flavors and textures!