Oatmeal contains a balanced soluble and insoluble fiber, which reduces your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the "bad" cholesterol. Walnuts can significantly reduce blood cholesterol, rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, walnuts also help keep blood vessels healthy and elastic. Cinnamon and honey together reduces the cholesterol in the arteries, lowering LDL cholesterol; helps heart health! A key nutrient in raisins and bananas is potassium which may help reduce the risk of stroke, lower blood pressure, reduce risk of heart arrhythmias. Apples have no fat, cholesterol or sodium, and contain small amounts of potassium, which may promote heart health. Take note: Commercial cultivation of quinoa removes much of the soapy saponins that coats the seeds, I would still thoroughly wash the seeds to remove any remaining saponin residue. Place the quinoa in a fine-meshed strainer, gently rubbing the seeds together with your hands while water runs over the seeds. Quinoa a very good source of magnesium, the mineral that relaxes blood vessels. Since low dietary levels of magnesium are associated with increased rates of hypertension, ischemic heart disease and heart arrhythmias, this ancient grain can offer yet another way to provide cardiovascular health. Leftovers can be cooled and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days. For results this type of breakfast should be eaten 6 times a week.
- 1⁄2 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa (well rinsed)
- 1 apple, cored and coarse chopped (unpeeled)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raisins or 2 tablespoons dried blueberries, and or 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and rough chopped
- 2 cups water
- raw honey
- banana, sliced (optional)
- berries (optional)
- Mix all ingredients except for the toppings in a pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20-30 minutes. Depending on size and juiciness of the apple you may need more liquid. Adjust accordingly, by adding water or juice.
- Stir and serve with raw honey, banana, and rice milk.