Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This super-nutritious quinoa and edamame salad is low in saturated fat. and can be used as a vegetarian main dish salad or as a great side dish for lean grilled chicken, fish or tofu. It also happens to be gluten free, though always check the list of ingredients in broths and any other seasonings you choose to use. From: http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/salad1/r/quinoaedamame.htm
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium low-fat vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Toast uncooked quinoa in a medium skillet for 5 minutes. Transfer quinoa to a large pot, add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, and cook for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Remove from heat and empty into a serving bowl.
- Add chopped peppers, tomato, sliced zucchini and thawed edamame. Stir well.
- Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil together and pour over quinoa mixture. Toss well. Sprinkle with parsley.