Recipe by Karen Robinson
From March 2011 issue of Canadian Living magazine. It's delicious and hard to mess up. I've used brown rice instead of quinoa and it works. I do not normally eat green beans but in this I do. I can not find strained tomatoes so I use canned crushed tomatoes.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1 (540 ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup tomatoes, bottled strained (passata)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the green beans until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain then refresh in a bowl of ice water. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in cooled quinoa, chickpeas, red pepper and feta cheese.
- Tomato Vinaigrette: Whisk ingredients together. Pour over quinoa mixture and stir to coat.