Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
found this on Allrecipes.com
Make and share this Quinoa and Black Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 177.44 ml uncooked quinoa
- 354.88 ml chicken broth
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml frozen corn kernels
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 59.14 ml lime juice
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with the broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans, cilantro and lime juice. Top with chopped tomatoes.
This was delicious! I expected it to be good, but something was perfectly simple yet fresh and bright and hearty. We prefer to eat vegan when possible, so I used veggie broth to fit our dietary needs. I only had 1/2 cup of quinoa so I decreased the amt of broth to just under a cup. Also only used 1/2 of a large tomato, 1/2 can of pinto beans, and didn't have any cilantro. I also thought the recipe called for red bell pepper (but it didn't) so I put in about 1/4 cup and it was great (good mistake). We served ours as a main dish and topped each serving with some of our favorite salsa and a small dollop of vegan sour cream. YUM!
absolutely loved this! I didn't have fresh tomato, so I used a can of diced. Worked good for me, because I like quinoa a bit "soupy" any way.
This is one of my favorite recipes. I also found it on Allrec but am glad it's here... I make this with veg broth and diced red bell pepper, sometimes tomato but not always. I never add the cilantro, as cilantro is my one true nemesis, but if you like it I'm sure it can't hurt. Make this food! It rocks.