Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
found this on Allrecipes.com
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with the broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans, cilantro and lime juice. Top with chopped tomatoes.
First time I've tried this and loved it. I followed directions except at the end. Instead of chopped tomatoes, I topped with salsa and sour cream. Turned out just as I was hoping, and able to taste all the wonderful flavors that go into this
This was delicious! I expected it to be good, but something was perfectly simple yet fresh and bright and hearty. We prefer to eat vegan when possible, so I used veggie broth to fit our dietary needs. I only had 1/2 cup of quinoa so I decreased the amt of broth to just under a cup. Also only used 1/2 of a large tomato, 1/2 can of pinto beans, and didn't have any cilantro. I also thought the recipe called for red bell pepper (but it didn't) so I put in about 1/4 cup and it was great (good mistake). We served ours as a main dish and topped each serving with some of our favorite salsa and a small dollop of vegan sour cream. YUM!
absolutely loved this! I didn't have fresh tomato, so I used a can of diced. Worked good for me, because I like quinoa a bit "soupy" any way.