Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A new twist on an old Betty Crocker recipe. A great low-fat side dish.
Make and share this Quinoa and Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 (5 5/8 ounce) box quinoa, Seeds of Change tomato basil blend, 5 . 6 oz
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (8 to 10 stalks)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan-romano cheese mix, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and carrot in butter 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Stir in quinoa. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Pour 1 cup of hot broth over quinoa and add seasoning packet. Cook uncovered about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Stir in asparagus. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook 15 to 20 minutes longer, adding broth 1 cup at a time and stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed; remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- *For softer grains increase broth and cooking time.
This is a nice way of using quinoa and asparagus. They pair nicely together and I really enjoyed the flavours of your recipe. I, too, didnt have the mix, so I used my black quinoa and added some sun-dried tomatoes and herbs. YUM!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this yummy recipe with us, Nicole!
Made and reviewed on Recommendation of Mikekey April 2011.
Very good! I couldn't find the mix, so used plain quinoa and some tomato paste and basil. Went very well with a pork roast. Made for Spring 2008 PAC.
Finally got ahold of some quinoa. What a great recipe for a first experience. I didn't have the specialty box, just plain quinoa so I used 1T-2T of sundried tomato pesto. Loved the asparagus in this.