Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This can be done with any kind of pepper. I have used green bells and pablanos, both came out very good. Vegetable stock or wine can substitute the beef stock.
- 4 bell peppers or 4 poblano chiles
- 236.59 ml cooked quinoa
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 127.57 g can green chilies
- 118.29 ml quick-cooking oats
- 59.14 ml beef stock
- 85.04 g cream cheese
- 118.29 ml mozzarella cheese, grated
- 118.29 ml monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- Cook the onions in the vegetable oil over medium heat until caramelized. Add the stock and green chilis. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are very soft.
- In a bowl mix together the cheeses. Add the onion mixture and let sit for about 5 minutes to let the cheeses soften.
- Stir in the quinoa,oats, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds. Stuff the peppers with the mixture, mounding it slightly over the top of the pepper.
- Place in a baking dish that is deep enough to hold the peppers. Pablanos will have to lay on their side.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
These were good and easy to make. I used poblanos, which didn't get done in the baking time allowed. Next time, I'm going to either blanch them or cut them in half to stuff them. I also had some freshly smoked chipotles which I added to the onions/chilies/stock in the pan. Next time, I'm adding more. My DH thought they were great but commented he'd have liked a sauce with them. I'm thinking, perhaps a red enchilada sauce? I also toasted the quinoa and used quesso fresco for the mozzarella.
Oh my, these were soooooooooo yummy! I had them today for lunch and absolutely loved them! The flavours of the quinoa, bell peppers, oats and mozzarella go so well together. I used the vegetable stock option and had red quinoa, which added a nutty flavour and some extra nutrition. ;) Instead of canned chiles I used micxed chopped bell peppers. I will definitely make these soon (and often) again. Maybe Ill sprinkle some cheese on top of them before baking next time just to make them even more yummy if thats possible. Thanks so much for sharing this gem of a recipe with us, Chef Jean! Made for Went to the Market Tag game.