- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb thawed frozen okra
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small hot pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute okra in the oil over med heat until it turns light brown. Turn several times. Remove okra with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Now to the oil add the garlic, onions and peppers. Cook over med low for 10 minutes.
- Stir in okra and the remaining ingredients. Cook for 15 more minutes. Okra should be tender. Add water if needed.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.
- From the Vegetarian Journal.