Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found the basic recipe in a magazine and 'tweaked' it with a few other things to suit my tastes.
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- In a large bowl, blend together flour, cheese, sugar, both powders, and Italian seasoning.
- In a medium bowl, add milk, oil, and egg, mixing well. Stir into dry ingredients, until just moistened. Pour into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- When you remove from oven, spread margarine over top with paper towel. Cool for 10 minutes in pan. Remove to wire rack and cool for 10 more minutes, then enjoy.
This is a great quick bread recipe. Very easy to throw together and leave cooking while prepping other dishes. Keep in mind it has the density of a biscuit. Thanks for the recipe!
I made this using what I had in house. Substituted heavy cream for the milk and 1 cup Graham flour for one of the cups of flour. I had no Italian seasoning, so used Zatarain's Creole seasoning. I also added 1 tsp each oregano, basil, and sage. No self rising flour so added 2 tsp baking powder. The bread came out extremely moist and was excellent! I will make again
Delicious! I used parmesan instead of cheddar, omitted garlic powder and used Emeril's Italian essence for the herb seasoning. Everyone loved it and it disappeared quickly! WIll make again.