1/2 Photos of Quick'n'easy U.s. Flag Gelatin Dessert
Kimberly Annette's Note:
This gelatin dessert can actually be ready to present in half an hour, yet is beautifully elegant for U.S. patriotic holiday gatherings. I came up with the idea when I'd forgotten that I was supposed to bring my usual Flag Cake to a 4th of July picnic during a very hectic time. I had lots of red gelatin and berries on hand, but no pound cake, no whipped topping in the house, no time to go to the store, and only an hour to have something ready. Here it is...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 pints strawberries
- 1 1/3 cups blueberries, divided
- 1 banana
- 3 1/2 ounces large box red gelatin, any flavor
- 2 cups boiling water
- 12 ice cubes
Whipped Topping of choice
- 12 ounces frozen non-dairy topping, thawed or 12 ounces real whipped cream
OR the following
- 1IF making whipped topping from powdered coffee creamer, put mixing bowl, beaters, measuring cup and measuring spoons in the freezer to chill thoroughly. Note: Also see Step #4.
- 2While boiling water for gelatin, hull strawberries, slice enough to make 1 cup, cut the rest into halves. Also slice 1 banana.
- 3In a 13"x9"x2" baking pan, dissolve 1 large (3-1/2 oz.) box of gelatin in 2 cups of boiling water. Stir to thoroughly dissolve, about 2 minutes.
- 4IF making whipped topping from powdered coffee creamer, pour 1/4 cup milk OR water into measuring cup and return to the freezer; then measure 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into the mixing bowl, and return to freezer until gelatin is prepared. Do NOT mix lemon juice directly with milk!
- 5When gelatin is completely dissolved, add 12 ice cubes and continue stirring until gelatin is "soft set," about 4 minutes (gelatin will be somewhat "lumpy"). Remove unmelted ice pieces.
- 6Add 1 cup of blueberries, sliced strawberries and all sliced banana to the gelatin. Stir to distribute fruit throughout.
- 7IF making whipped topping from powdered coffee creamer, cover gelatin with plastic wrap and chill in fridge. OTHERWISE skip to next step -.
- 8Spread whipped topping of choice evenly over the gelatin. Arrange remaining blueberries to form a square in one corner, and arrange the halved strawberries in 4-5 lines about an inch and a half apart, making the "Stars and Bars" of the U.S. flag.
- 9To serve: Cut into squares of about 2 inches.
- 10TO MAKE WHIPPED TOPPING FROM POWDERED NON-DAIRY COFFEE CREAMER: Remove all equipment and liquid ingredients from the freezer.
- 11Pour 1 cup powdered non-dairy coffee creamer over COLD lemon juice.
- 12Pour COLD milk (OR water) over powdered creamer. Do NOT mix milk directly into lemon juice or milk will sour.
- 13Using FREEZER-CHILLED beaters, beat lemon juice, creamer and milk on high speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form.
- 14Gradually beat in sugar; continue beating about another 2 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- 15Spread over top of gelatin-fruit mixture, and follow Steps #8 & #9.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick'n'easy U.s. Flag Gelatin Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.5
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 33.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 1.0 g