Recipe by ' =^..^= 'Ameera' =^..^= '
chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans. This is a dish my friend made one day for a quick snack and it was so good. I make this all the time now. It is best with pita bread but it would also be good with some steamed rice. Sometimes I even make this and then make it into my Hummous Creamy, Yummy, Hummus, Hummos, Hummous - However U Spell It!...it gives it another flavor. The only difference is to reserve some of the liquid from the can (because there will be no water to reserve since there will be no boiling) and skip the boiling step in that hummous recipe. Then if the mix isn't getting smooth I add the liquid from the can to get the right consistency. :D
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas or 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, sliced or minced (if you can't handle the heat, then use a half diced bell pepper)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (extra virgin is best)
- Tabasco sauce (or you fav hot sauce) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- over med-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil, add onions and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- lower heat to medium, add garlic and jalapeno peppers and stir fry for 1 minute.
- add the other teaspoon of oil, chickpeas/garbanzo beans and salt and pepper to taste and let fry for 1 minute.
- lower heat to low, cover and let simmer-fry for 5-7 minutes.
- enjoy with some hot sauce if you please!