1/6 Photos of Quicker Sourdough Bread
1 hr 10 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
My typical sourdough breads require a 4 hour rise and a 1 1/2 hour proof. That's after refreshing the starter, a 6 hour task usually. This recipe allow the starter to develop overnight or while I'm at work and only a 2 hour rise (or less). The proofing is about 45 minutes to an hour. I like the result; hope you do too. The prep times below do not include rising times. The recipe makes 2 loaves weighing 1.2 lbs each or 20 rolls at 51 g each.
My Private Note
1 lb lo ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup sourdough starter (about 3 oz of liquid starter)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (10.1 oz unbleached)
- 9 ounces water
- 1The day before or early in the morning, mix starter sponge, cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise till doubled - about 10 hours at 75°F.
- 2To make the dough, mix starter with flour and water and let rest covered for 20 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle on the salt and knead the dough for 4 or 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface with floured hands until the salt is uniformly distributed.
- 4Stretch and fold by stretching the dough on an oiled counter with oiled hands into a rectangle and folding letter-style top down, bottom up and sides in to form a rough cubic package.
- 5Place in an oiled, straight-sided container covered. Clear containers work best to judge when the dough has doubled in volume.
- 6S&F every 30 minutes for one or two more times until the dough is silky smooth.
- 7When nearly doubled in size (about 2 hours), tip the dough onto a very lightly floured counter, divide into 2 equal pieces and gently form into ball or torpedo shapes.
- 8Place in floured or oiled bowls or proofing baskets (seams up). Cover with oiled plastic and proof at room temperature about 45 minutes to bake or refrigerate overnight for baking the next morning.
- 9preheat oven to 425F with a steam pan (a skillet you add 1 cup hot water to).
- 10when the loaves are 1 1/2 times the original volume (refrigerated loaves should be ready to bake even cold), turn out the loaves (seams down) onto parchment paper (not oiled) and score with a sharp knife or razor blade.
- 11Bake for 12 min with steam, rotate loaves, remove steam pan, and bake for 10 more minutes without steam until 205 F internally.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quicker Sourdough Bread
Serving Size: 1 (48 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 233.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: