Recipe by PsychRN
This is more of a method than a recipe.You can use your favorite rub and sauce and make it your own. America's Test Kitchen devised this method to shorten the usual 12 hour slow smoking process. You use the grill for 2 hours and finish in the oven. The results were impressive. My family loved it.
- 1 beef brisket, trimmed leaving 1/4 inch layer of fat
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim brisket leaving 1/4 inch of fat on topside of brisket; set aside.
- Mix the rest of ingredients for rub mix.
- Coat the meat with the rub. Cover and refrigerate 24-48 hours.
- When setting up your grill, build your fire using charcoal and bank the coals to one side of the grill.
- In a foil packet place wood chips that have been soaked in water. Poke holes in the packet and place on top of thr coals.
- Place the brisket on the "cold" side of the grill and cook for 2 hours. Then tightly wrap the meat in foil and put in a shallow pan.
- Finish the brisket in the oven baking at 300 degrees for 4 hours.
- Allow the meat to rest at least 30 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- The juices from the baking pan are delicious mixed in with your favorite sauce.
- Cooking time does not include the 24-48 hour marinating time.