Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a combination/variation on several posted recipes for Coq Au Vin to make it simpler, kosher (no bacon or butter) and with less carbohydrates. It got 4 thumbs up when I made it for my family. This makes lots of sauce, so be sure to serve it with rice, noodles or boiled potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken, cut in eighths
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 10 1⁄2 ounces water
- 1 1⁄2 cups rose wine
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven on the stove.
- Lightly brown chicken on both sides. This will have to be done in 2 batches.
- Remove chicken from pan and add the onions.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown.
- Add garlic and stir.
- Add mushrooms and cook a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Return the browned chicken to the pan.
- Bring to a boil and then cover.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 1 hour.
- Remove cover and bake another 30 minutes or until chicken is done.