Recipe by alijen
Omit the bacon for a vegetarian treat- a great side dish for almost any meal. Gruyere is the recommended cheese, but it should work well with sharp cheddar too, for a much different flavor.
Top Review by hollyberry117
These were a great twist on zucchini boats. I loved the gruyere! I did find the last reviewer's advice helpful to skip the oil and just use the bacon fat. I always cook my bacon on the tabletop grill and can get a splash of the grease from the drip tray. I'll definitely make this one again.
- 6 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- coat a 9 by 13 glass cooking dish with cooking spray. Cut 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick lengthwise slice from each zucchini.
- Chop the slices and reserve.
- Scoop out most of the flesh from each zucchini, leaving just a shell.
- Chop together the flesh and add the spices from above.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped bacon and cook for three minutes.
- Then add the zucchini mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes (about).
- Stir in bread crumbs and 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Cook for another minute more.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup filling into each zucchini boat.
- Place each boat in the baking dish and add 1/4 cup hot water to the dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 more minutes until cheese is melted.