Recipe by Jostlori
They say necessity is the mother of invention - and that is never so true as when you are craving a specific food and the grocery is all out!!! These beans were created on the fly one night when the baby backs just screamed for beans... and they taste like you slaved all day on them. This is my new "go-to" recipe for baked beans, whether I have all day or not. I've made this with many types of beans (those listed, pinto, red) and they're all good - so just pick your favorite! No baking involved... The molasses is optional because 1) I don't care for it and 2) it's hard to find in Costa Rica.
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp, then remove from pan and set aside. Pour out all but 1 tbsp of bacon drippings.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to the saucepan. Saute on low heat until onions are soft and transluscent.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients EXCEPT beans. Stir to combine and add to onion mixture. Stir over low heat for two minutes.
- Add beans and bacon, then stir to combine. Bring to a simmer then cook over very low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently so that the beans don't burn.
- Recipe says four servings, but hubby and I eat the whole thing!