Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you don't have a bread machine, this is the easiest yeast dough recipe by far. There is no overbearing yeast flavour and it is a good dense bread. Please note: time to make includes rising time.
- 5 cups white all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yeast (or 2 x 7g pkts)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups warm-hot water
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- Put 4 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into large bowl.
- Pour in hot water and oil and mix until combined- it will be sticky.
- Add the remaining flour in increments until dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is elastic and smooth.
- Place dough back into bowl and cover with a damp teatowel and let it rise until double its size- about 1/2 hour.
- Punch it down and divide dough into two pieces.
- Roll pieces long enough to fill two well oiled loaf pans and leave to rise until dough has reached the rim of the pan.
- Bake at 400F for 40 minutes.
- Rub hot breads with water and wrap in a teatowel to'sweat' to soften the crust.
WOW! This bread was simple and awesome! My GF was wanting some bread but it is too cold and rainy to go out so I said I'd make some. My old recipe called for 3.5 hours and that was just too long! I saw this recipe, and thought we'd give it a try. I did end up adding about 1/2 cup more flour because my dough was too sticky after mixing. Then, I didn't have bread pans so after punching it down and dividing it, I just placed the loaves on a jelly pan diagonally. I baked at the prescribed time and temperature, and all the while the fresh bread aroma was wafting through the house. The crust was softened with water and a towel, cut, buttered, and then woofed down! This bread was perfect and better yet, my GF was happy so that meant I was happy! 5 Stars :o)
I love this recipe. I made it for our dinner on Saturday. I used half Whole wheat & & white flour and used 1 1/2 teaspoons of Splenda white and brown sugar substitute. I like to bake in the new silicone pans and baked this bread in 6 small loaves. They were ready in 30 mins. We stored them in zip lock bags in the fridge. Thanks for a quick and tasty bread recipe! Kathy M.
Excellent bread recipe! Thank you for the softening of the crust tips also. My family and I love it! This is the first recipe I have followed and came out with a loaf of soft, delicious sandwich bread. Not an overbearing yeast flavor, just like you said. So happy right now.