This is in my family's "Top 10" list. Quick and easy and very good. I found it in the food column of my local paper (San Jose Mercury News) several years ago. Addendum: I couldn't find tomatillos in the grocery store when I wanted to make this recently. I substituted an equivalent sized bottle of "Salsa Verde" and got nearly the same results. Just look for one that the primary ingredient is tomatillos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half, diced
- 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomatillos, drained and cut up
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can diced mild green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (16 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained
- 1 lime, juice of
- fresh ground pepper
- 1In a large saucepan, heat olive oil.
- 2Add chicken and cook, stirring often, just until beginning to brown.
- 3Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- 4Add shallots and garlic to pan and sauté until softened.
- 5Stir in tomatillos, tomatoes with liquid, chicken broth, green chilies, oregano, coriander and cumin.
- 6Bring to boil, then immediately reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- 7Return chicken to pan along with drained beans and cook about 5 minutes, just until chicken is cooked through and beans are hot.
- 8Add lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick White Chili
Serving Size: 1 (869 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.2
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 1548.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.2 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 40.5 g