Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Everytime I make this for a potluck or family gathering, it goes so quickly! For a (very) spicy variation, you can add ground red pepper or chopped jalapeno! Recipe easily doubles or triples for guests. In a hurry, you can use the canned chicken that's already cooked.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Season-All salt (seasoned salt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast, chopped
- monterey jack cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- In large skillet, heat olive oil, add chopped chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Add onion and cook until transparent.
- Add chilies, flour, cumin, garlic, and Season All; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add beans and chicken broth; bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Add chicken; cook until hot.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream and salsa, if desired.
1/11/09 Tried this recipe for the 1st time today and we all loved it, I only had a few issues with it. No where in the recipe does it say to remove the chicken after browning (which I didnt and still it came out great) and I believe that some may feel that the amount of cumin is too much. I added the 2 teaspons as called for and it produced a strong cumin flavor, I also added pieces of Pepper Jack cheese to the pot while simmering and the addition of the sour cream in the serving was a great add. My husband also took white corn chips and crunched them into the soup and said it added great texture and additional flavor. I will make this again.