Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fresh, Warm, Homemade bread in just a little over ONE hour from start to finish? Absolutely with this recipe. Amaze family and friends alike with this beautiful, tasty, easy bread. A favorite after school snack. I got this from a friend and fellow busy mom I love it and couldn't live without it, hope you love it too!
- Step 1:.
- Pour into 1 quart Mixing bowl:.
- 1 cup Warm Water.
- Sprinkle on top:.
- 3T Yeast ( or four packages).
- Do not mix set aside.
- Step 2:.
- In 4 quart Bowl combine:.
- 8 cups Flour (can use up to 1/2 whole wheat).
- 2/3 cups Sugar.
- 4 teaspoons Salt.
- Mix well.
- Step 3:.
- Stir yeast and water mixture and add to this:.
- 3 cups hot water.
- 1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil.
- Step 4:.
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Stir the yeast and water/oil and mix together with the flour.
- Add enough flour to the sticky mixture to make a soft easy to handle dough.
- Knead for 1 minute.
- Divide dough into four equal mounds.
- Shape each into greased loaf pans/ or coated with a non stick spray.
- Cover loosely and let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Hints and Tips and how to make Challah:.
- For a more golden crust mix 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoons water and brush on bread just before placing in oven.
- To tell doneness:.
- Top will be springy and bottom will sound hollow if thumped.
- ( I will usually take aside two loaves and make into Challah to do this take two or one mound of dough, depending on how many Challah you want to make)
- Per each mound of dough;
- Take the mound of dough and separate into three relatively equal pieces make each piece into a long strands.
- Now with your three long strands lay them length wise in front of you, take each piece at the top and pinch just the tips together.
- Braid loosely like a hair braid and then pinch the ends again when done.
- Tuck under the pinched edges.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and cover lightly with a towel, lightly damp paper towel or lose tin foil.
- Let rise 30 minutes.
- Pre Heat Oven 350
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden.