Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a really quick, healthy, low fat chowder. Great for a cold night when time is tight. If serving to someone with a cold, pump up the heat by adding a tsp of cayenne pepper and let them sweat it out... NO MERCY!
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, well drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- kosher salt and pepper
- Combine the the onions, garlic and 1/2 cup of the stock in a large saucepan.
- Cover, bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice. Break up the tomatoes with a potato masher.
- Add the broccoli and remaining stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Add the beans, basil, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Note: I sometimes substitute the hot pepper sauce for one or two chipotles in adobo sauce.
- Simmer for an additional 4 minutes or until the broccoli is at the firmness you prefer.
- I like to serve with some grated Parmesan cheese.
This chowder is so warm and comforting. I didn't add the hot sauce...used hot pepper flakes. DH said it is "wonderful" and a "keeper". So quick and easy to put together. Thank you Daffazalea for sharing!