Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick South Beach Diet friendly soup. It is brothy, but the beans are very filling. I adapted a recipe from the cookbook to suit the ingredients that I had on hand.
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced roasted garlic
- 1⁄2 cup low-sodium V8 juice
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium pan.
- Add the spinach and allow to boil for a bit and wilt down the leaves, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and add the rinsed and drained beans, roasted garlic, and V-8 juice.
- Simmer gently for 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste.
I love this soup - make it all the time since I discovered it. I usually double the recipe and it holds fine for a few days of leftovers. Barely lift a finger to make it - I call it lazy woman's soup.
This was a great tasting soup that was so easy to make! I needed to use up the rest of the spinach and found this recipe. Definitely add the parmesan cheese. I also used 2 cans of beans and added red pepper flakes. But it's still good without the cheese as I'm eating the leftovers right now for lunch. Keeper file for sure!
This went well with some panini sandwiches. I suggest using a high quality chicken stock. This is a great "throw-it-together-very-quick" soup. Thanks for a keeper.