Recipe by hollyfrolly
A delicious base to a variety of Vietnamese style soups. Recipe from, Cooks Illustrated Soups and Stews. Soooo good. ***A Wonderful base used in my Vietnamese-Style Beef Noodle Soup or my Hot and Sour Noodle Soup with Shrimp and Tomato.
Top Review by KizaCooks
I'm not Vietnamese, but my best friend is, and we're always eating at this amazing Vietnamese restaurant & her mom is always making us food! But, now I'm moved away from her for college and really missed the yummies! Haha. Anyway, it was 3 in the morning and I didn't really have the time to make the broth completely from scratch so I found this one! It's so good!! It's very, very good even though it's a quick fix! I made pho' with rice noodles, cilantro, bean sprouts, lime, hoisin, and sriracha sauce! Yum~ It tasted really close to what I'm used to, so thank you so much!
- 5 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed with knife handle and peeled
- 1 piece gingerroot, two inch, peeled, cut into 1/8 inch rounds and lightly smashed with knife handle
- 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 inch
- 2 pods star anise
- 2 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar