Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious base to a variety of Vietnamese style soups. Recipe from, Cooks Illustrated Soups and Stews. Soooo good. ***A Wonderful base used in my Vietnamese-Style Beef Noodle Soup or my Hot and Sour Noodle Soup with Shrimp and Tomato.
- 5 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed with knife handle and peeled
- 1 piece gingerroot, two inch, peeled, cut into 1/8 inch rounds and lightly smashed with knife handle
- 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 inch
- 2 pods star anise
- 2 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Over medium-high heat, bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Reduce to low and simmer- partially covered about 20 minutes.
- Remove solids and discard.
- Cover and keep hot over low heat until ready to serve.