Recipe by PassionateVeggie
This is quick and easy version of the vermicelli upma/pilaf. I have not used vegetables here, but feel free to throw in a few veggies to fix a quick meal. This recipe has a very low prep time - you only need to chop onions, chillies and ginger.
- 1 cup vermicelli
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bengal gram dal, split
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black gram dal, skinned and split (urad dal)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dried hot red chiles, halved
- 3 fresh green chilies, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, chopped
- 3 raw cashews, coarsely chopped
- 3 -4 curry leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a wok, heat oil and once its hot add the following: mustard, bengal gram, black gram, red chillies, curry leaves.
- Wait for mustard to splutter, and for the other items to change color. Add chopped ginger, green chillies, cashews and chopped onions. Gently stir.
- After onions change color slightly, add vermicelli and gently stir for a few minutes to uniformly spread heat.
- Add one cup water, curry leaves and salt.
- Allow for vermicelli to cook well and absorb all water. Adjust with a few more drops of water if the dish dries up quickly.
- Reduce green chillies if you do not want it spicy.