Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Cooking light. I'm posting it before I loose it. ZWT3 is coming soon. "Complete the menu with steamed green beans, and packaged mixed baby greens tossed with bottled orange sections and toasted almonds.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups quick-cooking brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic; saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, broth, water, saffron and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato, peas, olives, parsley, pepper and artichoke hearts.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until rice is tender and mixture is heated through.
Sorry, but this just didn't do it for us. I used 2 cups baby bella mushrooms and opted for the turmeric as saffron would have cost me quite literally over 1,000 times as much (but I just can't imagine it making enough difference to be worth the extra expense for us). It was just kind of bland. DH thought it would be okay as a side to the right main course, but he wasn't going for the idea of this as the main course. Thanks anyway.