Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 6 lime wedges
- 18 baked corn tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped peeled avocado
- 1⁄3 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder and next 4 ingredients (chili powder through green chiles); cook 1 minute.
- Stir in barley and next 4 ingredients (barley through broth); bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in cilantro. Serve with sour cream, lime wedges, chips, and Avocado Salsa.
- Avocado Salsa: Combine the last seven ingredients; toss mixture gently. Serve salsa immediately.
- Note: Store chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
This is one of my family's favorites and I had lost the recipe! Thanks for posting. We especially love the addition of the salsa
Great blend of spices for the chili (cummin smells so hearty) and excellent Salsa..