Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 large carrots
- 1 large turnip
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Scrub and coarsley chop carrots, turnip, celery, peel and chop onions.
- Melt butter in 8-quart pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables turn golden (about 15 minutes).
- Add water, salt, parsley, bay leaf, and thyme leaves.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Strain and discard vegetables.
- You can adjust the seasoning to suit your taste by adding 2 cloves, peeled garlic, several peppercorns, or your favorite herbs.
- You can freeze extra stock for future use.