Recipe by Linda (DC)
You can make this soup with any combination of fresh vegetables on hand. Just be sure to include some potatoes or carrots. Leave the vegetables chunky for a robust soup, or puree half of the vegetables for extra body.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
This is very good soup. I used the oil option to fry up half a large Spanish onion. The potato was scrubbed and left unpeeled. I used an immersion blender to partially puree the soup making the broth a bit thicker. More veggies could easily be added to make a hardier soup. Made for Spring09PAC.
- 29.58 ml olive oil or 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 baking potato, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 236.59 ml broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 709.77 ml vegetable stock
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion. Saute until it begins to soften, 3-5 minutes. Add all the vegetables, the stock, and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve.